Covid Vaccine Available at our Chicago location. Free PCR Covid-19 testing is available for uninsured patients at our Chicago location only. Rapid Covid-19 testing is available at both locations.

Common Women's Health Issues (Women's Health Week May 9-15)

Did you know that the week of May 9-15 is Women’s Health Week? During this time, we’d like to shed light on common women’s health issues and the various women’s health services that our team of providers at Family Urgent Care offers in our Schererville, Indiana and Chicago, Illinois offices. 

Common women’s health issues

Though men and women experience many of the same health issues (e.g., colds, flu, arthritis, etc.), many health conditions only affect women. 

The following health issues impact the reproductive systems and organs of women:

Some health conditions affect both men and women, but tend to affect women disproportionately. In other words, men can experience the following conditions, but they tend to impact women more frequently and/or differently than men:

Breast cancer can also develop in men, but the difference is startling: 1% of breast cancer cases are men, and the remaining 99% are women.

Detecting common problems with a women’s health visit

It can be alarming to read through a list of common women’s health issues, but awareness is the first step toward preventing and detecting any potential issues. During a women’s health visit, we focus on issues that are important to you, including menstrual health. A women’s health visit at Family Urgent Care can including the following elements: 

Pelvic exam

A pelvic exam is a visual examination of your reproductive organs. This includes both your external and internal organs. 

Pap test

A Pap test, often called a Pap smear, is a screening test that checks for precancerous changes in the cells of your cervix. Abnormal cellular changes can alert you to the potential risk of cervical cancer in the future, allowing you to get treatment before the precancerous cells turn into cancerous cells.

Breast exam

A breast exam is a physical examination designed to detect any lumps or growths in breast tissue. Regular breast exams can help you detect the earliest changes, allowing you to receive any necessary treatment as soon as possible. 

Not sure how to perform a self-breast exam? We can teach you too. Ideally, you should perform a breast exam on your own once per month.

Pregnancy testing

We offer on-site pregnancy testing. If you suspect you might be pregnant, we can confirm your pregnancy with a blood and/or urine test.

Sexually transmitted disease (STD) testing

The symptoms of STDs can mirror other infections, including yeast infections. To make it more confusing, you may or may not have symptoms. If you have concerning symptoms, or if you've been exposed to an STD, we can diagnose and treat STDs. 

Prioritize your health

In honor of Women’s Health Week, do something for yourself. There are many ways you can prioritize your health. Here are a few ideas to get you started:

To learn more about our women’s health services or to make an appointment at Family Urgent Care, call the location of your choice today. You can also request an appointment with our online booking tool.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Telltale Signs of Strep Throat

A sore throat often accompanies allergies or a cold, which is caused by a virus. Strep throat is caused by a bacterial infection, and there are differences in the symptoms. Here are telltale signs of strep throat and what you should do about it.

Who Should Be Tested for STDs and How Often?

Sexually transmitted diseases are more common than you may realize. Receiving an early diagnosis can help protect your health, so make sure to get tested regularly, especially if you have multiple sexual partners.

How to Reduce Ear Infection Pain

Ear infections are common in both children and adults. Whether yours will go away on its own or it needs treatment with antibiotics, an ear infection can still cause a great deal of pain. Learn more about how to reduce ear infection pain.

When that Cut Needs Medical Care

Cuts are no fun, but taking the best care of your injury can help ease pain and discomfort while staving off complications. Depending on factors such as the size, location, and cause of your cut, that care may involve an urgent care visit.

10 Tips to Promote Heart Health

Heart problems can lead to life-threatening conditions, but the good news is, you can avoid developing most heart problems by keeping your heart healthy. Following these 10 tips will help you attain and maintain a strong, healthy heart.